Tuesday, January 8, 2013

PRAISE - A VITAL NECESSITY

"Extreme hunger" - several sites list this as a symptom of low blood sugar. Extreme hunger is what drives us to eat. I have to say that after eating nothing for over 10 hours yesterday, what I felt I would certainly describe as "extreme," a gnawing ache and a sense of urgency to satify that need. But isn't that the point really. The Amplified Bible says in Jeremiah 29:13 "The you will seek me, inquire for and require Me (as a vital necessity) and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart." I can tell you that yesterday, I was seeking food as a VITAL NECESSITY. The ache in my stomach would not be satisfied any other way. I drank 2 bottles of water, a giant diet soda and nothing would satiate my hunger. Finally, FOOD! And it was all I could do not to eat way more than I should have (I am on a quest for a lighter body). I felt compelled to feed, nourish, and restore my body. The urge to tend to my flesh was overwhelming. But shouldn't my need to restore my spirit be just as strong? Shouldn't my urge to feed my soul be just as driving? Shouldn't I be searching for Him and requiring Him as a "VITAL NECESSITY?" In verse 14 of the same chapter, Jeremiah writes, I will be found by you says the Lord, and I will release you from captivity and gather you from all nations...." We are captive to this body, its needs its desires, its "vital necessities." Hunger should drive me to God, not my refrigerator. Psalm 135:2-3 "You wo stand in the house of the Lord, in the courts of the house of our God, Praise the Lord, for the Lord is good; sing praises to His name, for He is gracious." I could look at my physical hunger as simply a symptom of having not eaten, but the truth is, that hunger should drive me to seek Him to praise Him and make that my "vital necessity."

No comments:

Post a Comment